Feedback after 8 1/2 months gone.

Feedback after 8 1/2 months gone.

Home Forums Modtopia Feedback & Suggestions Feedback after 8 1/2 months gone.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bumfuzzler 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ATaXiA
    Participant
      @ataxia

I just reinstalled Rust a few days ago after 256 days away, being a pretty avid player of Modtopia back then i just wanted to share my thoughts on how the server is now as compared to then.
      This is not a bitching thread, i still love this server and appreciate what Bum has made and will continue to play here.

Leaderboard kits have been nerfed to the point of nothing more than bragging rights, A few presents and ammo is a far cry from the old full kit of Unique Armor/Unique weapon and the other little goodies. That’s what made people try to best each other. I understand making them more fair but removing what made them something to behold makes them pointless. I would have rather seen them go from x times redeemable to maybe just a one time redeemable kit, Making that armor/weapon even more valuable.

Air drops are also boring now, gone is the treasure trove of worthwhile loot.
      Out of 20ish drops i’ve called in from the past few days nothing gave me that “Oh yea” feeling like most of the old drops did. I’ve sat and camped a few drops when the server had 5 or so people on and no one even came for them. I thought maybe the players were too far away and just let them go, but after doing this time and time again with no looters i have to believe it’s just because of the loot table not being worth the risk.

Barrels seem to have been adjusted also to drop less components which i get because before they dropped way too many but now it feels like way to few.

NPC non-zambles – Scientist roaming junk piles, i’m not sure if the game removed them or if this is server removed but i don’t see the point. They added a needed danger when scrap running. Monument Guards are all gone? These were something that i thought the server did very nicely before, they provided items for quests and protection for monuments. Now you have to have RNGesus on your side to get these items from zambles instead of “I need to fight x guard for glue” It’s just random and takes away from quests.

Zambles, Not terrible.. not perfect. I guess just too random. I’ll spot a few here and there then out of nowhere two huge groups are roaming around killing everything. There reach also seems further than the players reach. I’ve tested this myself a few times with a spear which has the longest melee reach and each time the zambles will hit you before getting into your reach. Non-Ballistic combat vs zambles ultimately favors zambles.

St.Patricks/Bunny House – I’m not 100% sure they are removed but i’ve seen no evidence that they are still on the server. These were some of the best places to visit especially St.Patricks when it only opened during the night, heading into the dark and fighting 8-10 NPCs was a blast and then getting inside gave a great feeling of accomplishment.

Heli Crashes/Plane crashes – Haven’t seen a single one in a week, makes me sad. These gave you a reason to get out of your hidey hole and visit the harbour or track down a plane crash.

I don’t want to be a debbie downer so now the good things i’ve noticed.

Jason – As balanced as i ever seen, Hard but not unreasonable.

Gather rate – Seems lower and much better, before day 1 after a wipe you could have 3 bases in Tier 3. I like it’s draw out a little more, even further would be ok in my opinion.

Server performance is a lot better, before it was a laggy mess and frustrating and now it seems smooth as butter. Not sure if this is just Rust itself or something Bum did but it’s really good now.

Discord is good, the economics event is a nice touch. No one really talks but i guess thats just the communities introverted nature.

Active Plugins all seem to be working and way less buggy now, i always bug hunted while playing but this time around i’ve only found 1 bug. This goes more towards Bumfuzzlers care of the server and how much time and effort he puts in.

Overall it just seems like the danger and adventure of what the server use to be is gone. It’s still the only reason i launch rust but now i have fewer reasons to leave my hidey hole other then to scrap run.

Bumfuzzler
      Keymaster
        @bumfuzzler

Leaderboard kits have been nerfed to the point of nothing more than bragging rights, A few presents and ammo is a far cry from the old full kit of Unique Armor/Unique weapon and the other little goodies.

At the beginning of each wipe there’s a sprint to get the lead which gives first players too much advantage. That’s why I had to nerf the resulting kits a little to make them useful, but not overpowered. That’s why you won’t find any more weapons in there. I can consider adding some armor, but I want weapons to be harder to get especially at the beginning of the wipe.

I would have rather seen them go from x times redeemable to maybe just a one time redeemable kit, Making that armor/weapon even more valuable.

Making it one-time redeemable means no one will ever try to retake the lead when they lose it. If you make cooldowns high, if the lead changes back and forth, someone might not have the opportunity to redeem them during their window.

Out of 20ish drops i’ve called in from the past few days nothing gave me that “Oh yea” feeling like most of the old drops did.

I’ll look at this. I nerfed them because they were insane, but as usual you then have to raise them up, lower them until it’s just right.

Barrels seem to have been adjusted also to drop less components which i get because before they dropped way too many but now it feels like way to few.

All components now spawn in variances from 1  to 10. Sometimes you get 1, other times you get 10 other times you get 7, 5, etc. Before they all spawned 3 at a time. I did this to make it more random and interesting. It’s nice to hit that jackpot.

NPC non-zambles – Scientist roaming junk piles, i’m not sure if the game removed them or if this is server removed but i don’t see the point. They added a needed danger when scrap running.

The old NPCs at monuments were far too buggy and players complained because they could shoot you from a mile away through rocks and such. I found it scared players away from the server so I disabled them. The scientists were meant to be abled in the tunnels and the ship, but not junkpiles due to popular demand. They should now spawn at tunnels, ship since I just fixed them I think. I also tossed in a few scattered at junkpiles. There’s 10 across the entire map so it should be a surprise from time to time.

I guess just too random. I’ll spot a few here [Zombies] and there then out of nowhere two huge groups are roaming around killing everything.

That’s the point. They’re supposed to be random. It’s meant to be surprising and unexpected. They start off in small groups, but if those groups meet they will merge together to form bigger groups. As far as the reach I can’t control that, but I know they can’t outreach a pitchfork!

St.Patricks/Bunny House – I’m not 100% sure they are removed but i’ve seen no evidence that they are still on the server.

These are seasonal! Saint Patrick’s Day is coming in March and of course the Bunny House is Easter! They don’t run all year round. You recently missed The North Pole during Christmas.

Heli Crashes/Plane crashes – Haven’t seen a single one in a week, makes me sad. These gave you a reason to get out of your hidey hole and visit the harbour or track down a plane crash.

Plane crashes should still occur. I’ll test that. Heli crashes were disabled because they were a bit buggy and conflicted with the default heli. I can revisit to see if I can get it working, but it was a hassle because people complained about the side effects.

Thanks for noticing the other stuff. The lag was a time-consuming process but eventually narrowed it down to a combination of plugins. I’m going to do some testing over the week with components, airdrops, scientists, and I’ll also review the leaderboard kits to see if I can spice them up.

As always great feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Oh and in roughly a week, Saint Patricks Pub will make its appearance 🙂

Bumfuzzlertopia
        Bumfuzzler Modtopia 216.155.140.108
        Bumfuzzler Vanillatopia 66.55.149.84
        http://www.bumfuzzler.net

Bumfuzzler
        Keymaster
          @bumfuzzler

I just tossed 5 signals to test. Here’s what I got:

• 1 smoke rocket
          • 594 metal ore
          • 270 scrap
          • 209 nailgun nails
          • 1313 hq metal ore
          • 1 waterpipe shotgun
          • 4 batteries
          • 3 sandbag barricades
          • 2 snap traps
          • 44 12 gauge buckshot
          • 1 nailgun
          • 2 concrete barricades
          • 7 low grade fuel
          • 4 tuna can lamps
          • 1 longsword (scimitar 1.5x damage)
          • 1 large furnace
          • 1 MP5A4
          • 1 salvaged sword
          • 4 flares
          • 1 M92 pistol

Maybe you’re throwing the signals wrong? I think that’s some very good loot. Consider though, it’s meant to be random so you might get 10 so so drops and then get 5 good ones. I’m sure you agree the loot I just got is exceptional.

Barrels seem to have been adjusted also to drop less components

I went around and broken enough barrels until my spear broke (roughly 25) and here’s what I got for components:

• 409 scrap
          • 9 tarps
          • 6 gears
          • 2 metal blades

after another 20 or so here’s what I got:

• 4 propane tanks
          • 6 metal blades
          • 2 feet of rope
          • 4 sewing kits
          • 7 metal pipes
          • 8 stop signs

That doesn’t seem so bad to me.

Oh, btw about the scientists. You’ll find in many cases the zambies kill them. I just saw that happen. It’s kind of funny actually.

Bumfuzzlertopia
          Bumfuzzler Modtopia 216.155.140.108
          Bumfuzzler Vanillatopia 66.55.149.84
          http://www.bumfuzzler.net

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Bumfuzzler.
          • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Bumfuzzler.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.